Saturday, November 28, 2009

Technology Assessments

The results of the two technology assessments were not surprising to me. While I am comfortable with technology, I recognize that I am truly a digital immigrant. I didn’t grow up with access to technology in the way that students today have had access to it. Technology does not intimidate me, but I do not usually know about the latest trends and upgrades. This is also true in my classroom. The assessments did raise my awareness about several opportunities for me as an instructional leader.
According to the assessments I am stronger in three areas. First, I am proficient in information acquisition. Second, the assessment validated what I already knew: I am a problem solver. This is even true in solving problems with technology tools. Third, I am proficient using technology to communicate. However, I am weaker in foundational knowledge of technology.
When it comes to the basics of technology, I rely heavily on basics, such as keyboarding, that I learned in high school. In some cases, I have gained information through work experience. As I read through the assessment, it occurred to me that I do not even know how those who were not computer science majors would obtain this information, other than through self-help. I think most employers, including school districts assume that teachers know this information, but that is usually not the case. As a classroom teacher, I could certainly use more time with the tech personnel on my campus learning these things. One of the assessment questions asks about training and professional development on technology. As I thought back to the professional development the district offered this summer, there was very little to build teachers technology skills. Most training that was offered was for campus and district level technology support personnel. There is little for the classroom teacher. In addition, when classroom teachers request time professional development time to familiarize themselves with various programs the district has already paid for, the request is denied. I know because my request was denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment